Friday, February 17, 2006

you break it you buy it...

the Koi in questions is the black and orange one... click on the photo for more of Gina Karaba's work of art. (http://www.zentone.com/gina_karaba.htm)

While exploring Pike's Fish Market (a popular tourist spot by the shore of Puget Sound) my son Aaron and I were admiring some of the amazing blown glass sculptures of this one artist. As Aaron picked up a shiny heavy glass piece... it slipped out of his glove hand and broke the fin off of a beauatiful Koi glass sculpture. Aaron, feeling overwhelmingly sorry, quite embarrassed, feeling very awkward and devastated was shocked this had happened. As a the parent, quickly said to Aaron, step away from the display and do not touch anything and take those gloves off!
I asked the artist if this piece can be repaired? Yes, but the piece just lost half of it's value. I asked how much she would sell it for... she said $150. I offered to buy this piece from her after she had repaired it. The artist will re-attach the fin and use a special UV light to seal the fin together back on the fish. I left her my cell# and that we would be back again to pay for this beautiful albeit flawed work of art. I told Aaron that this was something we could remember the rest of our lives... everytime we see the koi fish... :)

Bad luck just seem to follow us today too.
btw... another potential bad luck turned out well, when I suddenly noticed I had lost my key for the hotel. (lost keys would cost us $15). I was sure I had the key with me... so we headed back for the car... there it was... on the parking lot floor next to the car.
Whew! Perhaps our rash of bad luck is finally leaving us.
*a small thank you to God above for keeping us safe from the crazy traffic and unfamiliarity with seattle*

No comments: