Friday, February 10, 2006

Dream of the Return - Pat Metheny Group

This is one of the most beautiful songs by Pat Metheny. The song is in spanish (see english translation below).

DREAM OF THE RETURN (Music: Pat Metheny-Lyrics: Pedro Aznar) (Spanish)
Al mar eché un poema
que llevó con él mis preguntas y mi voz
Como un lento barco se perdió en la espuma
Le pedí que no diera la vuelta
sin haber visto el altamar y en sueños hablar
conmigo de lo que vio
Aún si no volviera yo sabría si llegó
Viajar la vida entera
por la calma azul o en tormentas zozobrar
poco importa el modo si algún puerto espera
Aguardé tanto tiempo el mensaje que
olvidé volver al mar y así yo perdí aquel poema
Grité a los cielos todo mi rencor
Lo hallé por fin, pero escrito en la arena
como una oración
El mar golpeó en mis venas y libró mi corazón
=============================================
(English)
I tossed a poem to the sea
that took with it my questions and my voice
Like a slow ship it vanished in the foam
I asked it not to turn back
without having seen the open sea
and in dreams telling me of its visions
Even if it never returned I would know if it arrived
Travel the whole life on the blue calm or floundering in storms;
little matters the way if some port awaits
I waited so long for the message that I forgot
returning to the sea and thought the poem lost forever
I cried my rancor to the heavens till I found it,
finally, written in the sand like a prayer
The sea beats in my veins and set my heart free.

=============================================
good night. . .

No comments: